As an international student at Musicians Institute, you will not only receive an excellent education in contemporary music, but you will also enjoy the opportunity to build professional and personal relationships that last a lifetime. International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment.

    The International Student Office is dedicated to making the transition from each student’s home country to MI’s Guitar Craft Academy in Nashville as smooth and easy as possible. We offer a wide range of services for international students, including:

    • Housing & Roommate Assistance
    • An ESL Program for language skills
    • Assistance with obtaining visas & work permits
    • Academic advising
    • Personal counseling & tutoring
    • Career counseling

    Musicians Institute requires all new and continuing International Students to have a minimum standard of health insurance coverage.

    Musicians Institute is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign national students and MI follows a policy of equal opportunity in all of its educational activities.

    Musicians Institute encourages all new and continuing International Students to have a minimum standard of health insurance coverage. This is due to recent health care reform measures; the high cost of medical care in the United States; and the desire of our school to provide options that ensure the continued health and safety of our students.
    Musicians Institute has a strong commitment towards student growth and the development of individual responsibility. To further this goal, MI recognizes that catastrophic injuries or illnesses while attending our school would be financially devastating, and therefore should be minimized or eliminated altogether. This can be accomplished by ensuring that each student is offered affordable and appropriate medical coverage. Musicians Institute endorses a policy of health insurance, and encourages all students on MI’s campus who do not currently have appropriate coverage to enroll in our comprehensive health insurance plan. You may, however, provide your own comparable coverage.

    Musicians Institute’s health insurance plan is designed to protect students from incurring medical costs, should anything happen during your time at school.

    The current policy rate is $150 per month.

    Outline of Plan and Benefits:

    • Medical coverage up to $250,000 per accident or sickness
    • Only $25 co-payment for outpatient visits (no deductible)
    • Pays 100% after $50 co-insurance payment for hospitalization
    • Emotional and mental disorder coverage
    • Repatriation and medical evacuation coverage
    • Toll-free number available for students to use regarding claims
    • Women’s health care
    • Pre-existing Conditions

    Online enrollment & details regarding student Health Insurance can be found at

    If you have any questions or need further information, please call Ascension at 1-800-537-1777


    If you’re ready to start the application process, please follow the steps below:

    • Download the MI Application form here.
    • Download the International Student Information Packet here.
    • Contact the MI Admissions Department with a request for information by email, telephone, standard mail, or fax

    Mailing Address:
    Office of Admissions
    Musicians Institute
    6752 Hollywood Blvd
    Hollywood, CA 90028

    Telephone: 323-462-1384
    Fax: 323-462-1575


    The International Student Office can help with:

    • I-20 issuance and SEVIS registration
    • School transfers
    • Changes of status
    • Extensions of stay
    • Reinstatements
    • Practical training work permit (OPT) applications
    • Obtaining health insurance*
    • Obtaining driver’s license, and automobile registration
    • Getting a Social Security card
    • Filling out non-US financial aid forms and letters
    • Personal counseling to adjust to a new culture and language
    • Immigration Process
    • Financial counseling and budgeting

    *MI can arrange a mental health appointment for personal issues at no cost to students.



    F-1 Visa:
    An F-1 student visa is available for non-immigrant students who wish to enter the United States for the purpose of engaging in full-time study. Musicians Institute is approved by the United States Government to issue Certificates of Eligibility. The spouse and unmarried minor children of a student may accompany the student to the United States or follow to join the student at a later date. The dependent family members will be admitted with F-2 status.

    MI Tokyo:
    MI Tokyo is the official Japanese partner of MI Hollywood. If you are a Japanese citizen applying to MI Hollywood, please click on the link above to learn how MI Japan can help you with musical preparation, completing your application, and making your move to Los Angeles as smooth as possible.

    How to Obtain a Visa:

    • Apply and be accepted by Musicians Institute (see form here)
    • Submit a completed Statement of Finances form (see form here)
    • Provide an official account balance statement from a certified bankinginstitution*
    • Provide a copy of your passport (and passports of your dependents)
    • Submit a partial tuition payment (see form here)
    • Upon receipt of the above documents, an I-20 form will be issued by the International Student Office for the appropriate visa type and study period.
    • After You receive an I-20 Form, visit and fill out the I-901 form, make a SEVIS fee payment by credit card and print out the receipt to take to the visa interview.
    • Apply for a student visa & schedule interview

    International Transfer Students
    If you are transferring to MI from another school, you must submit a “Notice of Intent to Transfer” form along with the above mentioned documents.

    How to Maintain Legal Student Status:

    • Maintain a valid passport at all times.
    • Attend the school you are authorized to attend on your I-20.
    • Continue to carry a full course of study (minimum of 12 units per quarter).
    • Leave the U.S. by the anticipated course completion date on I-20 (plus grace period) or apply for a program extension or transfer prior to that date.
    • Refrain from off-campus employment without written authorization from USCIS or the school.
    • Report a change of residence within 10 days of the change.

    Resources within Musicians Institute:
    The International Office staff can also assist you with meeting requirements and obtaining resources from other departments at MI. Or, if you prefer to contact the offices directly by email:
    Application Process (Admissions Office) –
    Housing & Roommates (Housing) –
    Personal Counseling, Tutoring, Medical (Student Affairs Office) –
    New Student Orientation (International Office) –
    Academic Advising and Registration (Registrar’s Office) –
    Career Counseling (Career Development Office) –
    All other International Student Services –


    Musicians Institute is pleased to announce its affiliation with Kings Education, a world-renowned provider of English language and Pathways programs, which is now MI’s official partner school to provide English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, activities and services. This partnership gives international students the opportunity to complete any necessary English Language training before beginning their Performance or Entertainment Industry program at MI. Kings will deliver a dedicated preparatory Intensive English program at their location, which is just two minutes’ walk from the MI campus in Hollywood.

    Upon completion of their Kings Education language studies course, students can progress directly to their program at MI with the assistance of admissions advisors. This process will include counseling and services related to: visa requirements, acceptance letters, financial documents, any necessary advance tuition deposits, and other needs a student may have.

    For information on these programs, please contact the Musicians Institute International Office:
    Telephone: (323) 462-1384

    Kings Education
    With decades of experience in international education, Kings Education is a leading expert in teaching English language skills. With a personalized approach to teaching and learning, Kings Education utilizes small class sizes to provide each student with an individual study plan, ensuring that they reach their language learning goals. For more information about Kings Education English language courses, visit


    For assistance finding a host family in the Nashville area, please click on the following link provided by International Homestay Agency and fill out the application. A coordinator from IHA will contact you and work closely with you to find a host family:


How do I apply to MI as an International Student?

The first step is to complete an Application for Admission.

Once I am accepted, what do I need to do to be able to enter the US and attend MI?

You must submit all documents required by the school for admission, obtain an I-20 for your program of study, apply for and receive your visa from the US Embassy in your country and be present on your date of registration.

What is an I-20?

An I-20 is a U.S. Government document that you need to apply for a student visa at the U.S. Consulate in your home country.

How do I get my I-20?

After you apply and are accepted by Musicians Institute, you must submit the following forms to the MI International Student Office to obtain your I-20:

  • Provide an official Bank Balance Statement confirming the funds shown on the Statement of Finances*
  • Provide the partial tuition payment for your program located in the chart on the Statement of Finances**
  • Provide a clear copy of your passport
    • *Must be accompanied by a Certified English Translation and converted to United States Dollars.
    • **Swedish students receiving Financial Aid from CSN must submit the CSN final approval letter.

Can my spouse and or child come to the U.S. with me?

Yes. You must provide a copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of your spouse and or child’s passport and proof of additional living expenses for your spouse and or child. Dependents will receive an F-2 visa.

Is TOEFL score required to attend MI?

A TOEFL score is only required for the Bachelor Degree program. The minimum score for acceptance is 500 (Standard), 173 (Computerized), or 61(Internet-Based Test/IBT).

How long will my I-20 be valid?

The I-20 is valid for the length of the program. These dates can be found under section #5 of the I-20 form.

Is an I-20 a visa?

No. The I-20 is the document produced by the school that tells the U.S. Embassy that you are approved to study in the United States. It also tells the Embassy how long you will be studying so that they can create the visa length to match the I-20. In many cases, the visa will be issued for much longer than the I-20.

When can I get my visa?

You may apply for a visa no earlier than 120 days before the program start date on your I-20. In addition, you may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20. This date can be found under section #5 of the I-20 form.

How do I get my visa?

Once you have received your I-20 you will be required to pay the $200 SEVIS I-901 fee online. After making the payment online, print the receipt and take it along with your I-20 and passport to your meeting with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Follow the instructions given by the Embassy or Consulate to obtain your visa. Be prepared to pay additional visa application fees (please check with your local U.S. Consulate for amounts as they vary depending on the country).

How long does it take to get my visa?

The time it takes for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to create your visa will vary depending on the country and on how busy they are at the time. We suggest calling the Embassy or Consulate in your country to see how long it will take to process your visa.

Can I study at MI on a B-1/B-2 tourist visa?

No. United States immigration regulations state that B1/B-2 visa holders may not study at all.
IMPORTANT! – be sure that your visa type matches your I-20 type. If they do not match, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to fix the problem. A visa that does not match your I-20 could limit or prevent your options for future study.

Am I allowed to study part time?

No. All international students must maintain full-time status. Only if you are in your last session and need just a few credits to graduate will you be allowed to enroll less than full-time. There are a few exceptions, such as a medical reasons or language problems, but check with your International Student Advisor for details. All requests for part-time study must be approved by the Registrar’s Office and the International Student Office.

Can I travel during the school breaks?

Yes. If you plan to travel outside the United States, please come to the International Student Office and we will check your I-20 form and passport before you leave to be sure that there will be no problems when you re-enter the U.S.

Can I work while I’m in school?

Students with F-1 visas are allowed to work on campus on a part-time basis. M-1 students are not allowed to work at all. International students are not allowed to work off-campus without a work permit.

My visa has expired but my I-20 is still valid. What do I do?

If your I-20 is valid and your visa expires you are legally allowed to continue your studies in the United States until the official end date of your I-20, BUT you should not leave the country. If you need to leave the U.S. you will have to return to the Embassy or Consulate in your country to renew your Visa to be able to re-enter and continue your studies.

Can I apply for an Optional Practical Training (OPT) Work Permit?

OPT is available for F-1 students who are enrolled in either an Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree program. To be eligible for OPT, you must successfully complete and graduate from the degree program in which you are enrolled and must attend the last academic year (nine months/three quarters) continuously. If you are interested in applying for OPT, please go to the International Student Office at the beginning of your final quarter at MI and for assistance with the process. For more information about employment, go to the “Visas” page.

The holder of an M-1 visa is allowed to apply for an OPT work permit after the completion of one academic year of study. After completion, full-time OPT for the M-1 is issued for a maximum of three months.


Program requirements, course information, and GCA details.


Admissions department is ready to answer any questions!


The first step is to complete an Application for Admission.

Musicians Institute Guitar Craft Academy Nashville is authorized for operation as a postsecondary educational institution by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility.